MOVING DAY TIPS
Normally, there are two weeks’ notice between exchange of contracts and the completion date, but this can vary, dependent on circumstances, so always check with your solicitor.
Planning your move is essential to a smooth moving day, so here are some tips:
At least 4 weeks before the intended move date, obtain three quotes from removal companies who have insurance for furniture in transit, ideally using personal recommendations. Ensure that the removal companies are members of either the British Association of Removers (BAR) or the National Guild of Removers and Storers (NGRS). Make sure your furniture will fit into the next property and colour code boxes for each individual room. Do a floor plan for the removers, of where your furniture will go, in your next property.
- obtain a cancellation protection policy, in case the date for moving is changed at the last minute.
- Removal companies quotes depend on a number of things, including, what day you move, distance covered, the size of the load, value risk and amount of furniture, who packs/unpacks and the ease of access to your property. All taken into account.
Once contracts have been exchanged, and at least one week before moving, consider the following:
- Send out change of address cards to family and friends, these are normally the ones on your Christmas list.
- Arrange for the redirection of your mail via the Post Office, who require 7 days’ notice, using the Home Redirections Service Form.
- Contact your domestic utilities including gas, electricity, water, telephone, Sky, Cable and the TV Licence Authority.
- Advise your Local Authority Council, in order that your Council Tax may be apportioned. Also inform them of your moving out date and address.
- Inform your Bank and Building Society and any investment companies, Hire Purchase and Credit Card companies, for re-directing statements.
- Inform your Buildings Insurance and Contents Company of your new address, so that it may be assessed.
- The Vehicle Registration and Driving Licence documents should be changed to your new address. Your Driving Licence has a section on the back, to return to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN. Also inform any motoring organisations such as the AA and RAC.
- Inform medical organisations, such as doctors, dentists, opticians and vets.
- The Department of Health & Social Security will need to be informed, to ensure that you continue to receive benefits and allowances.
- Inform Inland Revenue and Tax Department.
- Advise your employers, professional organisations, library, clubs and societies.
Make arrangements for young children and pets to stay with a relative or neighbour, on the day of removal. Remember, pets are very vulnerable and do not like change, so take care in considering carrying boxes, which can be purchased from the RSPCA at low cost.
Ensure that your Estate Agent has a set of keys (including garage or shed) and any alarm details, preferably by or before 12 noon on the day of completion.
On the day of moving, bring cleaning materials, toiletries, spare bulbs, refreshments and your mobile phone. Advise your Solicitor and Estate Agent, how you may be contacted on the day of completion, for retrieval of keys, once legal completion has taken place.